Sunday, August 24, 2008

Just stay busy



Avice that I have given countless number or women in the last 7 1/2 months is stay busy and you will make it just fine. It really is the key to surviving and thriving a deployment. I would take my own advice and am trying but this is different. He is not going to be gone 10 more months (right now). He is supposed to be home and I don't really want to start on a project and have to stop it for 2 weeks plus.

I can't help but feel cheated. I know we will get our 18 days but we wanted to get a couple before the kids started school tomorrow. He wanted to play pretend that we were a normal family and he could take them to their first day. (He always was awesome about that kind of stuff. Taking time off or going in late for big days like this.)

So you know what it was like today I will tell you the story. This morning I got up at 7 am planning on hitting at least a little of church before Tobys arrival. I of course wanted everyone to look cute so got breakfast going and then everyone started to shower and get ready. Around 8:30 we started getting everything ready to go to church. The girls all looked so cute and cyrus was so handsome. My hair and makeup was phenomenal ( which made me start to think everything was going too good). I knew toby was going to try to call if he could before he got on the plane to head to us. Like clockwork I got a text from him. Mind you we didn't think his phone would work out of Qatar. It read "Stuck in Germany.." Did your heart just skip a beat because mine did.

I couldn't believe it. Outside was our sign and balloons and everything was ready to go. I know with the Army everything is changeable and I am fine with that. What I am not fine with is the excuse they have is that they are getting 500 guys out everyday. That is fine except they have been getting 500 guys home everyday for some time now so there really shouldn't be a week delay to get my husband home.

I was exhausted emotionally so I didn't go to church. I waited out for Cera to get tired and took a nap. While I was sleeping I had a dream the he instant messaged me and told me to hurry and get on so he could give me some important instructions. I got up and hopped online to find out it was just a nightmare. While online I searched flights and the possibility of him even getting here tomorrow is very slim. I took down the wilted balloons and will go to bed asleep for night number 222.
(this is my sad picture after the balloons bailed on me and he was not coming anytime soon.)


I don't mean to be such a downer but one day was OK, two was getting annoying, three was offensive and now I need a thesaurus to have words to describe my emptiness.

3 comments:

Squarehead said...

I stumbled into your blog. I just want to say thank you. Thanks to you and your family. Thanks to your husband for doing what he does.

ferntyler said...

wow - that was a sweet sentiment from a stranger who happened on your blog. I actually clicked the link to his blog and it made me cry - his wife is only 39 and has cancer and doesn't thinks she's going to live that long, and he didn't even say anything about it in his kind comment to you, now that's really awesome! robie actually did a talk today on enduring to the end, it was awesome and this post reminded me of it - the highs and lows are what make us stronger, just like when you are working out hard and the muscles ache and are tired, but then next time they don't hurt quite so much and you are that much stronger! I love you guys!

Tenae said...

Oh Liz! This blog made me want to give you a big huge hug. I wish we werent so far away. I am keeping you in my prayers.