Sunday, November 30, 2008

Start of the Long Road Part II

I had a friend online, named Stephanie and she told me about how I had to enroll in the different insurance to get the best coverage. She told me right in time and saved us a bunch of money because we were covered in time for Cera's birth. Her sharing that information will always stay with me and I am so thankful for her.

I remember my sister taking the girls to get their hair cut to keep their appointments. Mind you she came two, almost three weeks early so I was not the most prepared. I only had the diapers that came home with me from the hospital so I headed to Target with my 3 day old baby and my three other kids.


We soon made it home and the kids were sooo excited. Cera was a great sleeper from the start and I was so grateful. I started making plans to go to Toby's basic graduation. My sister was getting married that next weekend so it was going to be a tight fit to get everything in. I decided to rent a car to drive out and fly home to be there in time for the wedding.

Well Cera got a clean bill of health from the doctor to be able to fly and I went and picked up the rental car. I remember driving it home to pick up the kids and thinking of what the next couple of days would be like. I had not seen my husband for 10 weeks and I had only heard his voice 3 times. He had lost some weight and I had had a baby. It was a drive from Utah to Fort Knox Kentucky and I planned on a couple days drive. Cera was two weeks old by now. I packed me and my kids in the car, we said goodbye to Grandma (who I know wanted to tell me how crazy I was, but didn't). We said a prayer and on the road we go.


We made it to Wyoming and I took the girls into the bathroom to change diapers. I took my wallet out to get a diaper out of my bag. Left it in the bathroom. Left the bathroom, went back in and it was gone. Military ID, drivers license, cell phone, social security card. Yep, all gone. I called the police and then called my mom. I had an extra cell phone because I was taking Toby his down to him. I felt a rush of peacefullness come over me when I realized I had taken my debit card out and put it in my pocket. The policeman took us to a hotel and it was scary so we went to another one. I was hoping they would find my wallet because I knew I just was not going to get on base with a rented car and no ID. In the morning I thought of all my option. I thought about just not going on and going home, I prayed about it and felt like I should go on. I went to the police station. It was closed! I just sat down almost willing to accept defeat. The window popped open. The lady inside asked if she could help me. I asked her if there was any way to get some documentation of my missing things just in case I could use it to get on post.
She started to get teary eyed and confided in me that she for some reason got up and came to work early and started documenting my case. She said most times a report takes weeks to get. There I was being blessed right there at the police station.

I got the report in Cheyenne and off we went. Now that I was a day behind I had to drive across the country without stopping with four kids in the car. We stopped someone for lunch and a nice couple showed me a fun park across the way so the kids could stretch their legs. We stopped at a McDonald's and the kids were telling everyone our story and people were offering money and help..it was really funny, but we were in a hurry so went on our way. We passed Omaha and I was worried because it was already getting dark out. The kids were tired so I was going to be golden in that department.

I drove as long as I could and about 1 am had to stop at a hotel in the middle of no-where. I checked in and told her my story and asked her for a wake-up call so I could make it to Fort Knox on time. It was about a 5 hour drive from where I was at. I went and got the kids tucked in and couldn't sleep so I got showered and ready for the day. I layed down for about 2 hours and the phone rang. The women on the phone said "you know what, I was just thinking how the time changes and you are going to be behind an hour of what you were planning. Someone else looking out for me.

I got the kids dressed and ready to go. It was still dark so they were still sleepy. I drove and drove and drove. The sun came up and I remember coming around a bend and seeing the St. Louis Arch. It was so beautiful with the sunrise on it.



We stopped for a quick breakfast and were going to be there right on time. It was HUMID in Kentucky! I quickly changed my wet shirt and headed in the line of cars to get on post. I had no ID, and a rental car. The guy looked at my police report and said "good thing you have this or I couldn't let you on post". I held back the tears in front of him knowing that my Heavenly Father had blessed me. We got on post and i drove to see Toby and pick him up for family day. I broke down...I had not really cried while he was gone except for a short pity party having Cera and now I was bawling my eyes out. (this has become a trend with me, crying only right before I see him, weird.)

I dragged my kids in and prepare Cera to meet her Dad for the first time. Well, well..Toby had lost something like 45 pds in the ten weeks there and was sooo skinny. He had his big issued glasses on and even I didn't recognize him. Carmen was very confused.( She was only two then.) He wasn't very touchy feely but met Cera and that was fun to watch. I met some friends and then we went to have family day and then he would graduate the next day.


We got up and took him back to the barracks way early and packed everything for our flight home that afternoon. It was Friday and my sister was getting married the next day! Graduation was awesome and then they said hug your family you are leaving to get on a plane to El Paso. He said he would try to call from the airport. I drove to the airport and returned the car. I remember trying to take a 2 week old baby, my three kids, our luggage and Carmen's car seat into the airport. Mind you I still don't have any ID's. The way the airport was setup the whole thing was open and then the security was right by the gates to leave. Who do I see? My husband! We ended up spending another couple of hours with him in the airport. My flight was late leaving but we finally got on. What a mess.. I was pretty tired. We got to our connecting flight and they had a cart there waiting for us. We got to the next plane and some guy yells out "this is what we are waiting for?" They close the plane up after we are on.

You got it, they held the plane for me. WOW!! It was not about 9 at night. We get into Salt Lake around 10:30. Turns out the only place I had a hard time was leaving the airport because my parking stub was in my wallet. Stupid lady charged me for a lost ticket and was freaking out about me leaving and not supposed to be there..who would have known.

I get home and we head to bed to get up and go to a wedding in the morning.

Phew!! What a weekend. That weekend was one of the biggest testimony builders for me. I kept going and the Lord helped me every step of the way. He kept us safe and put righteous people in my path to help me. I have told this story many times but it always brings tears to my eyes.

That is the first of many stories in our new Army life and the start of the long road I was soon to find out I was facing.

I love my life, I love my husband and my kids and my whole family. I love the Lord for watching over me and literally sending help my way when I couldn't make it on my own. I am thankful for the opportunities I took advantage of that weekend to get on my knees and not only ask for help but give gratitude to him for the blessings I was receiving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will forever be in awe of you for making that trip!! The good Lord does look out for us, doesn't He?