Sunday, November 30, 2008

Start of the Long Road

This post is going to be long but I needed to blog the memory before it fades to much. In October of 2006 Toby and I had a friend come over "Ryan Prince" and he broght this movie with him for us to watch. Ryan is the kind of guy that is sooo positive (way over me) that he always has something else for you to look at or make you better. It was the movie "the secret". It is not the movie persea that changed my life it was the spirit of love that Ryan brought to our home.
Toby and I had just gotten over a rough patch in our lives and were wanting something new. Ryan comes to the door, Toby falls asleep while watching the movie. Ryan leaves and tells us how much he cares about us and he leaves.
That night, Toby and I talked. We talked about what were were going to do and Toby decided he wanted to try to go back to school.
Stop here:: this is one of those things when you make a different way and you set things in motion that you don't know will come to pass..yep this was it.

Toby started going to school and I moved home to Utah to my moms while he finished up the busy season at Fed Ex. While I was in Utah I met an Army recruiter, he got Toby's name from the helicopter school. We had never thought about the military but I told Toby about it anyway. Toby moved down a week later in January and went to meet Steve. After asking many questions Toby decided to apply for a Manager job at a local shipping company in Salt Lake.

Toby went the first week of February and took the ASVAB (the Army's entrance exam). He got a call from the local company with a good job offer with benefits. He had to decide what to do. After much prayer he went and enlisted the next day with the Army. I got a phone call saying he had just sworn in and was leaving in 10 days to basic. It was February and I was due to have Cera in May. (we were going to wait for him to leave but he signed for the quickship, turns out if he wouldn't have done that then they would not have covered Cera's expensive NICU bills)



Toby flew out on the 22nd of February and I didn't know when I would hear from him again. I stayed at my Mom and Dads and waited to have this baby and cleaned out our storage unit full of junk. Well Cera Jane decided to come a few weeks early. I remember getting all the kids in the car and heading to the hospital. She hadn't moved for awhile so I decided to head up and get checked. Turns out she was ready to come 3 weeks early. Thanks to my Mom who showed up and next door neighbor Jan and Annie Hafen and Emily my sister that took my kids.



I remember sitting in that room and thinking I am going to have a baby all by myself. Luckily my Mom made it back to the hospital. Cera was born Friday the 13 first thing in the morning. I was going to do it natural because the recovery was so much better when I had Carmen natural but being there by myself I wimped out. I got the epidural and what do you know..I pushed once and she was out. She had a hole in her lung so they took her to the NICU. I called the red cross and they got a message to Toby. He called back and said "what are you doing?" I told him I had Cera and what I had named her and that the pictures would be in the mail. I could tell how hard it was for him to not be there.



Well my mom got some weird sickness and landed herself in the hospital but Jan and Annie brought the kids up to see me and Em helped with Dad that night. Dad came to see me and then I had a candlelight dinner by myself. I begged the Dr. to let me out so I left Saturday morning first thing. I didn't get to take Cera home so I ran to help Dad with the other kids. I remember my feet swelled up so big because I went on a walk with them that afternoon.


Thanks to the missionaries at Fort Knox I was able to email the pictures of Cera to them and Toby got them at church on Sunday. What special people those missionaries were. I went to church on Sunday and still didn't have Cera home so everyone thought I was still pregnant. That night my Dad and Emily's husband Dan went up to the hospital and gave Cera a blessing.

She was released the next day and was a perfectly healthy little girl.

No comments: