Tuesday, May 13, 2008

White girl can't dance (or shouldn't!)

Ok everyone.. I have a confession...I love to dance!! The problem is I am not any good and have, oh what would you say? NO RHYTHM, NO GROOVE

I have started taking this cardio dance class at my local gym. It is really fun and gets your heartrate up, which is the point I suppose. I started taking it at first just because I loved the thought of cardio and dance together and thought those are two things that get me closer to my goals of losing weight and learning how to dance.

Now, I just keep returning because it bothers me so bad that I cannot dance and look like a retard when I am trying. I am pretty sure the instructor is trying not to laugh at my white/sorry excuse for a dancer, but I try.

Today, she was trying so hard to teach me this move and I just couldn't get it..I need major one on one instruction for this to be a success. She said she started out about a year ago the same as me and now is the teacher. ( gives me hope)

I would love everyones opinion...Can you learn to dance (and good) if you don't have a natural talent for it and your coordination is not really that awesome. I am going to keep going but man, I don't want to waste my good workout time if I will never get it.

Seriously there are white girls out there that know how to dance right?

5 comments:

ferntyler said...

Interesting question - I guess it depends on what your version of success is. I'm sure you would be able to get the moves down at the right time, but will it ever look exactly like a great hip hop dancer, maybe not :) I say, though, that if you are close enough to not throw the rest of the class off you should just enjoy it!

Emily said...

There are some great white dancers. I also love to dance and wish I were better. I have a VHS video called "Darrins dance moves" a choreographer for b-spears and other hip hop dancers. it teaches you how to dance pretty cool. You could borrow that if you would like! :-)

Bethany said...

Your cousins Brett and Brandon are dancin' machines..and they're good too!! I try hard to not look stupid, but usually it doesn't work. When we all went to Yellow Stone we went to a country bar in Cody, Wyoming... well to make a long story short, they thought I was a great dancer, but that ain't sayin' much!!

Jennifer said...

I am sure if anyone can learn, it will be YOU. I can't say I'm any example of good dancing, so no experience there. The good news is, I think dancing quality is in the eye of the beholder, so a) you're probably already fine and perhaps just a few foibles are helping someone else in the class feel good about themselves (yey, good deed) or b) you're really great and you need to find a class of less excellent dancers for comparative purposes. Somehow I've tried to convince myself of one of these 2 options in my past dancing....

Unknown said...

I wish I could dance also, my mother danced in highschool and college and I missed that gene pool. I'm with you and need a private lesson but kuddos for going and keep it up maybe you'll get the gene after all!