Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Lagoon Part II

So I mentioned that Lagoon was a hit and we had a blast. I learned a valuable lesson also at Lagoon. The older kids and I went back and they were stoked for the big kid rides. We got back in and started walking towards them. I saw the fear setting in. My kids have done crazy things like the stupid high tower of terror at disneyland, but they were getting iffy about riding anything scary. It was a little because Dad wasn't there, but they were scared.

We rode the wild mouse first. It is one that makes you feel like you are going over the edge to drop to your death and then you do it like 6 more times. I love it, but the kids faces showed me that they were not big fans. We got off the ride and they showed me how they were still shaking. Sooo wicked, colossus, and cliffhanger were out. Walking north the white roller coaster was passed up. They didn't really want to do anything, but were making excuses why. We got to the BAT ride and decided to give it a try. We got to the front of the line and poor Cy was terrified. I told him that he wouldn't get hurt. I told him I would not make him do it and would not be dissapointed if he got off. He did and fast! He told me at that time "Mom tell me what it is like and how it feels"

At this time while I watched him walk away and before I got on it to ride I had a great learning experience. It is these time that I thank my Heavenly Father for opening my eyes and allowing me to learn and grow. There are so many times..I have been so scared to do something. So scared to share the gospel with a friend. So scared to be a single mom. So scared/straight terrified to say goodbye to my husband that I wouldn't touch for 8 months. In those time I am the little child that is looking up and not wanting to do it. There are so many times that I have been allowed to make excuses for not following through. Heavenly Father wants to see us do it and wants us to be happy, but he won't force us. As I am crying waiting for the ride to start I started to be greatful for all those times that I had just done it..it hasn't always been fun like the ride, but I could say "I did it." I got off the ride and desperatly wanted him to try it. He refused. We went and did a couple more things and some smaller stuff. He started warming up to the rides again and finally for the last ride of the night I mentioned the BAT. He was very reluctant but I held the stuff animals and they went to ride. He did it, and then one last time. Guess what his favorite ride is? The BAT!

Moral to long Lagoon story..we have to do things that we are scared of sometimes. We have to be willing to trust someone else to be able to learn and have new experiences. Life is like a roller coaster, up and down, but if you get on and enjoy the ride, it can be your favorite! I am so greatful for my kids and the opportunity I have to raise them. They are 4 of the strongest kids out there. They are truly awesome!

I know that I have more "rides in life" I am going to be scared to go on, but hope I remember this day and remember if I just hop on, it will end and be my favorite!

1 comment:

ferntyler said...

that's deep and a sweet message. It kind of reminds me of how all the kids were crying about the "calf" riding, and I kept saying they didn't have to go - not sure the lesson in that one, though ?