Tuesday, August 5, 2008

11 years

I have been waiting days to post this and give it the credit it deserves!!

On August 2nd 1997, 11 years ago..I was married for time and ALL ETERNITY to my sweet hubby Toby. At that time when I was a young 19 year old brat, I could not have known what was in store for me. All I knew is that I was "in love" with him and wanted to live happily ever after.

The years have come and gone..but these are some things I have learned along the way:

1. Be honest no matter what
2. Be funny and be willing to laugh at yourself when you say something stupid
3. Roll with the punches
4. No matter how bad it is, it would suck worse if you were divorced
5. Work hard
6. Support each other in whatever path you want to take
7. Don't freak out when he wants a nap(guys need naps, what the heck?)
8. Let him have some friends
9. Tell him everyday how much you appreciate him
10. Love your life, whatever your situation

We have been blessed with 4 kids and not necessarily at optimal times, but my husband has always worked really hard to try to take care of us. He has shown me how much he loves us by simple things like..being a garbage man for a short time (this is something I will never forget). He has been able to support me with some crazy ideas I have had and had some ideas of his own that I am so glad we have tried.

Something most people don't know..a couple years ago i was going through a hard time and Toby had to call my mom to drive up and talk some sense into me. (Thanks mom for coming to our rescue). It was really hard for him to do that and I appreciate the fact that he did. I know how hard it was for him to watch the mother of his kids and his precious wife be so sad all the time, but he sucked it up and stuck it out.

The way he makes fun of me for a one liner like "Entrapment is my favorite movie" for years and years. The way he loves me when I am fat or skinny. The way he still came home every night when I was a real *&*&& on birth control. The way he won't let me fight with him and makes me laugh when I am livid. Although he doesn't like change that much, he allows me to change everything all the time. The freedoms he has given (fighting overseas for me, or letting me work nights even though he was scared for my safety).
I believe I could have not picked a better match for me than Toby. Although we are so opposite in soooo many ways, we are sooo alike. If it were not for his humor we would never have lasted 11 years, and laughed the whole time.

Today is day number 221 since I last kissed him or held his hand. The love is even stronger for him today than it was 221 days ago. Although I miss him, it really makes this time apart ok because I know I have someone who loves me very much.

I have some work to do...11 years is not very long in eternity. I love my husband very much.. I sit and wait until he returns to me safely,and then I will do it again. God has blessed us and we won't forget.

To all of you who doubted: IN YOUR FACE..to all of you who supported: thank you so much. We love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put!

~Teri

staci said...

This is exactly what I love about marriage. There are days when the days seem to last forever and you think you would be better off without that person and "the grass is always greener on the other side" type of feelings. Then there are days where you are so in love with them and they can do no wrong and things are awesome. Then you turn around and look back 9 years later (11 in your case) and look at ALL you have been through together and it just makes you love them even more because you have been through all those things, good & bad, TOGETHER. I just love it. I'm so happy that you are so happy with Toby. You guys really do make a great couple and you have some dang cute kids too. I'm excited you get to see him soon. Enjoy every minute of it (I'm sure you will). Can't wait for your posts on Toby's visit!! :)

Unknown said...

Happy 11th! Wow, girl you were a young one!! I remember the day, you guys look just as happy today as you did back then!