Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Cried at the gym today

Tonight while I was running at the gym. I was listening to my music trying to get into the groove. I was just finishing my first mile and the womens 100 hurdles comes on. I was so excited because sometimes I sprint with them and get an extra good workout.

I am sprinting and then I see it.. I can't believe my eyes. Lolo Jones has her misstep. I was so compelled that I turned off my music and plug in to listen to the announcer on the television. I was so overwhelmed with emotion I started to cry. I love seeing people succeed in the face of doubt and fear, but HATE to see people experience disappointment.

I was really trying to pull myself together to keep running but had to stop and go the the restroom to get a grip. How sad for me that my emotions are that close to my heart now a days. I just could feel maybe a 1/1000 of what she felt and I was struck with feelings of failure.

I did not go back to run, but went and rode the bike instead and listened to my upbeat music to get back into the groove. I still am in disbelief but am reminded that things like this happen daily. People have medical setbacks, emotional missteps and we make the simplest mistakes sometimes that magnified might make the most impact on our futures.

4 comments:

ferntyler said...

I would totally do that - I was at the eye dr today and he was checking my tear production and said I have very good tear levels, which I thought might have to do with my crying at the most random things - yeah, he said it wasn't related!

staci said...

I totally saw that too and wanted to cry for her. So disappointing. But I was so impressed with her attitude when they interviewed her. Really showed her character.

Emily said...

I cried when the girls sand volleyball team won last night. Of course, they did succeed but still. I felt so bad for Lolo. But I agree with Staci, she showed amazing sportsmanship to even do an interview, little lone compose herself and act fairly positive. I hardly ever listen to music (I'm a talk radio geek) but when I do I usually cry. Must be in our genes!

Unknown said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog. Tenae is great. I like to blog hop also. Maybe we will run into each other again.