Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Catching Up

I have so much to post and so little time. I have even had a smaller load of classes and just can't seem to do it.

The Sunday before Christmas I was downstairs at my Moms and Cyrus was yelling that Grandma needed me. I ran upstairs to find my mom had fallen and hurt her leg. We did not know what had happened to her leg but that her shoes were slippery on the wood floor and she fell while running in to get her glasses to go to church. The car was still running and everything. As I sat there trying to figure out what to do, I couldn't help but recognize that someone had taken my Moms super powers away. She trully is that to me and I realized as I work hard to follow in her footsteps, they can be taken away at anytime by random accidents.

I located my Dad at church and he came home to help her. It is so funny how couples know each other so well. They were nicely bossing each other around and systematically getting the situation under control. After that I did my best to keep the kids out of the way and the ambulance took her to the hospital. Turns out she broke the ball off her hip and had a replacement that afternoon.

Jan Taylor (my moms best friend) and her daughter Annie (who I still need to send thank you cards to) came over and helped me wrap the room full of gifts my mom had purchased. Took the three of us 2 hours. YIKES!

The rest of the week was full of waiting for family to come to town, go see Grandma, Costco shopping for everyone to come and eat, delivering Christmas things around the neighborhood ect. I was BUSY! The cool thing is this year I was so prepared for Christmas for my own family I had time to spare. I had taken care of shopping before Thanksgiving to be able to send Toby's stuff on time. My cards were out and for once, everything in my life was organized for that week. I loved helping and trying to fill my Moms shoes. Not often do you get to play your hero. She would have done everything better, but I tried.

She got home in the nick of time on Christmas Eve and arrived to my family with 4 kids, my two sisters Jen and Michelle who have 3 and 4 kids. Full house, but we were just glad to have her home.

I am so glad she is starting to get around with her walker and in a few short weeks will move to the cane and then rest will be history. I love you Mom.

2 comments:

staci said...

That is quite the story. And to have it happen right before Christmas too. Wow. Good thing you were on the ball and had all your Christmas done so you could step in for your mom when she needed your help.

Tenae said...

Wow! Your life sounds crazy busy! I am however experiencing Liz withdrawls from lack of information. ;o)